Private universities’ council is a government institution chaired by Minister of Higher Education and membership of 8 of experts and specialized in high education of those who shall have no direct or indirect contribution to any educational institution throughout the period of their membership . Such Members shall be appointed by an order of Council of Ministers upon presentation of Minister of High Education. Their appointment’s period shall be for three years renewable for a similar one.
The Private Universities Council shall ensure conformity with all rules and stipulations for licensing private educational institutions. In particular, it shall undertake to do the following:
- Examine applications for founding private educational institutions
- Determine accreditation requirements for private educational institutions; accredit their educational programs and review their performance to ensure commitment to the provisions of their founding decree.
- Approve standards and conditions that need to be complied with by academic programs at any private educational institution; and reconsider those standards and conditions whenever the need to do that should arise.
- Accredit certificates granted by private educational institutions and equate them based on the relevant rules and criteria.
- Debate whether to suspend or cancel the activities of private educational institutions or even merge them.
- Look into any other matter referred by the Minister